Just buying a house and moving in is not enough. You have to get the furniture that depicts your taste and oozes out your personality. For your furniture to stand out, you need a suitable paint that will truly compliment not only your furniture, also the interior of your house. Now the question is, what is the best paint for furniture? How do you know what to choose? Do you have a guide through which you can determine the correct paint material? Yes, you do.
We are here to help you in this regard. In this article, we will discuss different types of paints and their characteristics to determine the best paint for furniture. After reading this guide, choosing the correct paint will be a piece of cake for you.
Wood Furniture – Why Choosing the Correct Paint is Important
Wooden furniture adds grace to the interior of the house. Every piece of the wooden furniture exhibits a contemporary vibe that holds the place together. However, one thing that plays a crucial role is determining the right paint for your furniture because it is a do-or-die situation. If you chose the wrong paint, you might wreck your chances of having a graceful, contemporary home.
Therefore, it is important to get the best paint for furniture. Why will you do that? Do your research, ask a couple of retailers, surf the internet, and then take the final decision. Don’t rush through the process. Painting the furniture is a one-time investment. Choose wisely!
Choosing the Best Paint for Furniture
To determine the best paint for furniture, you need to get familiar with the different types of paints available in the market. Here is a list of different kinds of paints for you to choose from:
1. Milk Paint
If you are looking for a solid finish that looks a bit old-fashioned, milk paint is your best choice. This is the best paint for furniture if you are looking for a rather antique look for your place that gives vintage vibes. When these paints were introduced, they created quite a stir among those who were rooting for an antique look. However, as people with OCD emerge, the uproar died down. This is because the results of milk paints are rather uncertain. If you have a specific look in mind, you might end up getting disappointed. If you are a perfectionist, you might not like the end results.
Let’s look at the pros and cons of milk paint.
- You can easily clean the milk paint. This is because they have a watery base that is easy to put and easy to clean.
- If you are a love surprises, the uncertain results of milk paint might amuse you.
- Milk paint is easy to handle.
- You can easily sand the surface before painting the furniture.
- The results are rather unique – something no other type of paint can achieve.
- Milk paint is free of Volatile Organic Compounds, which means it is free of toxic chemicals.
- Milk paints have color variations.
- If you have a block of raw wood, this paint is the perfect choice for you.
- You have to mix the powdered form of the paint with water. This could create a mess.
- This paint can go bad if you are not using it for more than a day.
- This paint has uncertain results. It might be a little too different than what you expected.
- Once you break the seal, milk paint can go bad. Therefore, you need to take extra measures to keep its quality intact.
- Milk paint is hard to find in the market.
Milk paint is not the best paint for furniture as the results you get after painting your furniture are usually uncalled for. They can be very different from what you wanted. Moreover, preparing this paint requires additional effort and extreme care. Otherwise, the paint will go bad. Therefore, investing in milk paint is a risky option.
2. Latex Paint
Latex may have the best choice for painting your walls, but it is not the best paint for furniture. However, you can use latex paint to make chalk paint at home. This paint makes for an effective ingredient if you want to make chalk paint on your own.
Latex paints come in various shades. You can either get your desired shade or ask your hardware retailer to get you the shade you want. They will mix the colors, tint it in your preferred choice of paint, and give you the exact shade you want.
Latex paints can be glossy. They result in a solid finish. They can give your place a clean, modernized, glossy look that is otherwise hard to attain. In addition to that, you can also get a plain or satin look if you are opting for latex paints.
- You can find latex paint anywhere in the market at a reasonable price.
- You can use this paint to make homemade chalk paint.
- A variety of shades to work with.
- Latex paint is easy to clean
- You will have a hard time painting your furniture with latex paint. These paints do not stick well to various surfaces.
- You will have to seal the latex paint; otherwise, it will go bad.
- It is very difficult to sand latex paint.
Latex paint is not the best paint for furniture painting. However, you can mix it with homemade chalk paint and then apply it to the surface of your furniture. This mixture will result in better distressing and the result might be a bit adhesive.
3. Chalk Paint
Chalk paint is one of the best paints for furniture. This paint dries quickly and really sticks to the surface of the furniture. You don’t have to spend hours trying to prepare the surface multiple times. All you have to do is sand the surface a couple of times and you are good to go.
Chalk paints are an ideal choice for furniture painting. You can create many different looks using this paint. Due to the variety of colors and styles, this paint has earned a name in the furniture painting world. Most people prefer to buy chalk paint if they are looking for a lasting finish.
If you want a distressed look, chalk paint is the best paint for furniture. It will not only give a perfect distressed finish but will also let it dry easily. This way, you can use your furniture a couple of hours after you have painted it.
The finishes are not only restricted to a distressed look. You can also achieve antique and worn looks using chalk paints. The process is not draining. You won’t have to spend hours prepping the surface, wait for it to settle down, or apply multiple coats for the paint to stick. Even after you have painted the surface well enough, you don’t have to wait for days. Just a few hours should suffice.
- You can easily clean up after painting your furniture.
- You will have no trouble sticking it to the surface of the furniture.
- Most brands of chalk paints are eco-friendly.
- Chalks paints are mostly free of VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds).
- You don’t have to prepare the paint. You can use it straight from the can it came in.
- If you want to keep using it for long, you will have to seal it properly.
- It is relatively expensive.
- You might have trouble finding your desired color.
Chalk paint is the best paint for furniture. It is easy to finish and gives the desired finish. If your furniture has a shiny exterior, make sure to sand the surface well before painting it; otherwise the paint not stick well.
1. Acrylic Paint
Acrylic paint is somewhat like milk paint; however, the end product is completely different. The finish is relatively smooth, which gives a nice look to the surface. If you want a classy look for your furniture – a look that mirrors your classy farmhouse bedroom – it is the ideal choice for you. Acrylic paint is the best paint for furniture if you are looking for a solid finish.
Acrylics paint works best in a farmhouse setting. The modernity of the room should be mirrored in the furniture it accommodates. Therefore, you should get the paint, specially reserved for a farmhouse setting.
- Acrylic paint is relatively easy to stick on the surface of the furniture.
- Acrylic paint has a low quantity of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs).
- You do not have to seal this paint if you have placed it in low traffic area.
- You can directly apply the paint, without any external help.
- Acrylic paint is very easy to distress.
- You can conveniently sand the surface without applying acrylic paint.
- Acrylic paints are not durable. You have to tightly seal the surface to prolong its life.
- Acrylics paints are available in limited colors.
- Acrylic paints are relatively expensive.
Acrylic paints are one of the best paints for furniture. You should paint the surface with a high-quality paintbrush to avoid creases and brush marks.
2. Pigmented Poly
Pigmented poly paint is becoming the best paint for furniture, quickly taking over the chalk paint supremacy. This paint is highly durable and gets you a solid sheen that looks classy and sassy simultaneously. You can use this paint to achieve a satin sheen.
One of the most noticeable features of this paint is its efficiency. You don’t have to put on a topcoat to finish the look. Instead, a single coat is all you need to give your furniture the perfect look. If want to give some pieces of your furniture a semi-glossy look, you should opt for pigmented poly paint.
- Unlike all the other paints, you do not have to seal the packaging of the pigmented poly paint. Its durability speaks for itself.
- Pigmented poly paint is easy to clean.
- Pigmented poly paint has a low amount of Volatile Organic Compounds.
- The paint levels well.
- Pigmented poly paint dries out within a couple of hours!
- Pigmented poly paint distresses well.
- You can easily paint the surface without any additional preparation.
- You should refrain from using a brush to paint the surface of your furniture.
- It is available in only black and white colors.
- You have to seal it after distressing.
- Pigmented poly paint is hard to come by.
Pigmented poly paint is the best paint for furniture if you are looking for paint that can dry quickly without leaving any creases or marks behind. This paint is the ideal choice for those who do not have much time on their hands and want to get things done quickly. Moreover, once you have applied a coat of pigmented poly paint, you do not have to apply a top coat, which makes it easier to paint your furniture. No extra hustle!
Finding the best paint for furniture can be a daunting task, especially when are new to renovating your home. Be mindful of the setting of your home before diving into the process of painting. Make sure your furniture is complimenting the interior of your home. For that, you have to choose the right paint for the furniture.
Do your research and make up your mind. Always go for the paint that best suits your needs. Talk to some of the hardware retailers as well to get a better idea. Finalize your action plan and don’t rush through the process.
Looking for more furniture ideas? Check out this post on how to distress furniture (in only a few hours).