Wood is a hard material that is reliable and stays in the same form for decades. If you take care of your wooden substances, they will last for a very long time. Every material needs attention and care, without which they get ruined. The same goes for the wooden substance you have accumulated over the year. Proper maintenance is all they need to stay durable and serve you for years, and DIY beeswax wood polish and sealant is just what you need to keep your wooden furniture looking in top condition.
There are many wood polish and sealants available in the market that do the job just fine. However, making one yourself has its own charm. You know all the products as you have put them all by yourself. You know what you are using and how much of an ingredient is required.
Making a wood polish and sealant can be useful as well as fun!
We have the perfect recipe for you. This wood polish is also known as a beeswax wood polish and sealant that is perfect for you if you’re looking to keep your wood stainless. With the help of this wood polish, you can maintain your wood by protecting its color.
Benefits of DIY Beeswax Wood Polish and Sealant:
Following are the prominent benefits of beeswax wood polish and sealant:
- Protects the color of the wood.
- Protects the surface of the wood from getting tainted.
- Seals the wood so that no external marks can stain the piece.
- Keeps the wood from cracking and drying out.
- This sealant also serves as a standalone wood sealer and stain
Wood pieces are sealed with a varnish that contains strong and powerful chemicals. These chemicals affect the quality of the wood and contribute to in-house pollution long after the varnish has dried. Therefore, using varnish can be harmful to you. Instead, try to make your own wood sealant and protect the surface of the wood. DIY sealants help seal the piece of the wood, making it perform better and stay durable for decades to come.
How to Make DIY Beeswax Wood Polish and Sealant
We have the perfect recipe for you that is easy to make and does the job better than those sealants that are available in the market.
Things You Need
Making this sealant is super-quick and the easiest thing to do. It requires about 20 minutes and the following ingredients:
- Olive Oil
Since beeswax is solely responsible for protecting the surface of the wood, we are going to use it in a greater amount than usually instructed in the other recipes available on the internet.
- A saucepan or a medium-sized pot
- Knife or cheese grater
- Measuring cup or Mason Jar
- If you can’t find beeswax, you can always order it online. Otherwise, you can find it at Whole Food or your local farmer’s market.
- Cut the beeswax into small pieces using a knife. You can also use a cheese grater for this step.
- Make sure that you cut beeswax into tiny pieces; otherwise, you will have a hard time melting it. Put the beeswax in the measuring cup after you have cut it into small pieces.
- It is now time to melt the beeswax.
- You have two options. You can either melt the beeswax in a microwave or use the double boiler method. The safest option of the two is the double boiler method.
- Take a large pot or pan and put the measuring cup or container inside it.
- Add water to the pot. About half of the pot should be filled with water.
- Lastly, remember to heat the water just enough that it stays warm. Don’t boil it. Boiled water can cause combustion of the beeswax.
- Using this method, you can easily melt ¼ cup of beeswax in 10 minutes.
- Take one part of beeswax, three parts of olive oil, and mix them together. Keep stirring the mixture for a while. Remember that one cup of beeswax polish requires ¼ cup of beeswax and ¾ cup of olive oil. Be mindful of the chosen amount.
- Olive oil will help solidify the beeswax. You can add a little amount of hot water to this mixture and stir slowly to keep it in liquid form.
- You have now prepared the beeswax wood polish and sealant. All you need to do is secure it in a container. Mason jars are perfect in this regard.
- Finally, make sure to protect it from direct sunlight.
A DIY beeswax wood polish and sealant is the perfect way to seal your wood and keep its surface shiny and durable. By making the sealant yourself, you can protect the life of your furniture. In addition to that, the process is easy, quick, and fun.
Leave a Reply